Re: remote login configuration/TERM question

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 03:12:52PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> 2) Simpler :) Where is the TERM definition for xterm stored, and is it
> safe to change it? I'm pretty sick of logging into my school account from
> my box and getting the message "Terminal type "xterm-debian", is unknown."
> and then having to do a "setenv TERM xterm" in order to run things like
> pine. I'd prefer to change it on my home machine rather than write a
> script or something in my school account to detect and fix it
> automatically- that seems like a hack to me.

The definitions for terminal types are kept in the ncurses packages.
Specifically, xterm, xterm-xfree86, and xterm-debian are in ncurses-base.

The file /usr/doc/xterm/README.Debian addresses the issue you raise.

Yes, detecting it on the remote end and changing it is a hack, but it's a
necessary one.  The simple fact is, XFree86's xterm program has some small
incompatibilities with that of the last X Consortium release of xterm.  If
you try to pretend they are the same it can cause you grief (e.g., standout
mode not working right).

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |            //     // //  /     /