Re: remote login configuration/TERM question

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Luis Villa wrote:

> 1) I am logging in remotely to my machine (using xdm) from my laptop on a
> regular basis. For a variety of reasons (speed, resolution, etc.) I prefer
> to use enlightenment on my laptop and windowmaker on my desktop. Has
> anyone worked out a clean way to a) detect that I am logging in from the
> laptop and not the desktop and b) use that information to switch the
> preferences? In other words, after logging in, I want my machine to know
> where I am and start the appropriate window manager with the appropriate
> defaults. Is there a good way to do this? Alternately, if there is no
> good way to do this within my normal user, is there a good way to create
> another user (say, liv-remote as opposed to liv) and then give liv-remote
> full access to liv's files without screwing up liv's ability to access them?

one option, using your .xsession file, or the like, test the DISPLAY
variable. should be :0 for local machine, and laptop:0 for your laptop
(where laptop is your laptop's hostname) then start a windowmanager from
.xsession depending on that criteria.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                With code like Microsoft's, who needs viruses???