remote login configuration/TERM question

Before I go further, I'd just like to note that I'm only subscribed to
the compressed version of the list, so please cc: copies to me, otherwise
I might not get them for a while. Thanks.

Two separate and basically unrelated questions:

1) I am logging in remotely to my machine (using xdm) from my laptop on a
regular basis. For a variety of reasons (speed, resolution, etc.) I prefer
to use enlightenment on my laptop and windowmaker on my desktop. Has
anyone worked out a clean way to a) detect that I am logging in from the
laptop and not the desktop and b) use that information to switch the
preferences? In other words, after logging in, I want my machine to know
where I am and start the appropriate window manager with the appropriate
defaults. Is there a good way to do this? Alternately, if there is no
good way to do this within my normal user, is there a good way to create
another user (say, liv-remote as opposed to liv) and then give liv-remote
full access to liv's files without screwing up liv's ability to access them?

2) Simpler :) Where is the TERM definition for xterm stored, and is it
safe to change it? I'm pretty sick of logging into my school account from
my box and getting the message "Terminal type "xterm-debian", is unknown."
and then having to do a "setenv TERM xterm" in order to run things like
pine. I'd prefer to change it on my home machine rather than write a
script or something in my school account to detect and fix it
automatically- that seems like a hack to me.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help- please remember to CC me-
Thanks-
Luis

		"They call the faithful to their knees
		 to hear the softly spoken magic spell:"