RE: kernel 2.2.6

Hi,

is there any reason not to use kpkg? I have always used kpkg to install Debian
kernels. Makes it very easy. (Of course, kpkg needs to be installed).

I do the following from /src/linux (where the kernel source is unpacked, and
after having run make config or xconfig):

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg -revision=my_revision_number  kernel_image  (I have used as revsion:
custom.1.0, custom.1.2 etc).

A kernel image (deb) is created in /usr/src

Then finally:

dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.2.6_my_revision_number_i386.deb

Modules and everything will be installed. You will be asked if you want to make
a boot floppy, and LILO will be reconfigured.

On 24-Apr-99 Anonymous Coward wrote:
> i'm a new debian user, but fairly experienced linux user.  i just got
> slink (debian 2.1) in the mail so installed it.  i downloaded kernel
> 2.2.6 to upgrade the first time it said a86 command not found so i
> searched mailing list archives and found out i needed the bin86 package
> so then that worked.  now i try to compile and i get this message at the
> end after everythings all done:
>
> Root device is (3,5)
> Boot sector is 512 bytes
> Setup is 1286 bytes
> System is 526 kB
> System is too big.  try using bzImage or modules.
>

> bzImage does not work and my kernel is in no way bloated.  i only
> included standard stuff and it was practically the same as i had 2.0.36
> except for joystick support.  what can i do?
>

> --
> /dev/null

Regards,
Christian Dysthe