Re: samba/network neighborhood question

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Ben Frame wrote:

> I just got Samba installed and it seems to be working fine.  But it
> doesn't always show up in my Network Neighborhood under Win95.  Both the
> Debian machine and Win95 machine are on the same subnet and both are in
> a workgroup called "linux."   I've made several changes to my smb.conf
> file, and consequently restarted the debian machine a few times.
> Sometimes it shows up in Network Neighborhood, and sometimes it
> doesn't.  Sometimes it will show up later, but not immediately.

Another user gave you the '15 minutes' suggestion which I have found works
on my box.

> So my question is, what makes it show up (or not) in Network
> Neighborhood?

read BROWSING.txt which comes with SAMBA for a technical explanation.
There are many things which can cause it to show up/not show up in
nethood.

Another user gave you the suggestion of using your SAMBA server as a WINS
server.  This also worked for me when I was setting up SAMBA, however,
this solution was unacceptable for my purposes (as was the '15 minutes'
suggestion as windoze rarely stays up that long <g>).  My solution was to
add 'lm announce = yes' to the smb.conf.  This isn't a great solution as
it creates some extra network traffic, but on a small network, this is
hardly a problem.

<plug type="shameless">take a look at my Samba-Beginners-HowTo which is in
development at http://wilbur.ozsome.com/~samba/ and maybe that will help
you.  Like I said, it's in development, and could use some work.</plug>

HTH

-Dano