Re: W95 defrag

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, H C Pumphrey wrote:

> Greetings, fellow  Debian fans,
>
> This is only a proto-debian question, I'm afraid, but I have tried to
> RTFM, honest. I'm trying to defrag the disc on a W95 laptop prior to using
> FIPS to re-partition it so I can put Debian on it as well[1]. W95 defrag
> will move a lot of stuff (which it colours turquoise) to the beginning of
> the disc, but
>
> (a) it wants to put some things at the end and
> (b) there are some things which it colours red/white and won't move at
>     all.

well, I don't know if your using the latest version...
but, if you are... (maybe earlier versions do the same)...
fips will let you make a backup of your fat(32) AND
very importantly it will let you know till what point the disk is used...
(do you understand what I mean ?, hope so for you)

so, you can try running it... and it will tell you if you can make use of
as mcuh diskspace as you want to.

also, mostly the files that defrag leaves lying around...
are the mirror and image files... you would be able to spot those in the
C:\ dir.

Hope this helps...

--- snip ---