RE: KDM vs XDM

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Brian Morgan wrote:

> Ran switchdm [to set kdm as default login manager] but I do not have an
> /etc/X11/config file, which switchdm relies on.  I am running slink and
> recent versions of XFree86, KDE, etc.  Isn't there a different file that
> slink uses to control its login manager settings?

I am running more-or-less pure slink, upgraded from hamm. I think you may
need the xdm package installed before switchdm can work, even if you
un-install it later. I seem to recall (from all of two days ago) that I
dpkg -purge ed xdm while X was up and some very odd things happened. I
rapidly dpkg --install ed it again and switchdm then worked fine.

I am actually a bit out of my depth here. Calling all display manager
gurus....

Hugh

Hugh C. Pumphrey, Dept. of -    | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Meteorology, Univ. of Edinburgh | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside U.K
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland     | Email hcp@met.ed.ac.uk