Re: why should email v's ftp? (was Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???)

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 11:40:44PM +1000, Chris Leishman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 08:42:11PM +0800, ivan@vianet.net.au wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Don't we still have the spooling problem unless you can co-ordinate sender
> > and receiver to be on line in different time zones in different parts of
> > the world simultaneously.
>
> Actually - I was thinking that you would pass the task of spooling and
> serving the files to the senders nearest permenant server (their ISP for
> example).  The ISP would be configured to accept files only from its
> users, and would implement quota support, etc, etc.  The server would
> be available at all times (excepting failures) thus no co-ordination would
> be required.

Requires co-operation of the ISP - eg. set up spooling directories, prolly
another port to firewall etc.

As I suggested with an auto co-ordinated log-in nobody except the two
parties involved (sender && receiver) need know or do anything to make
the transfer possible.

I suggest that sendfile would make a good starting point for dftp.

Is this _too_ off-topic now ?  Any objection to corresponding
privately ?  Of course, all interested people welcome !!!
Write to me or Chris and cc whoever you don't write to (does that
make sense ? :))

Your comments ?

Ivan.