Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 09:06:09PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Well, one guy came up with a great situation.  "What if..." What if I
> were on a machine that had no compiler, had no net access, no floppy drive,
> had no other editors or things which could be used *as* editors (sed & ed
> come to mind) but did have vi.  How would I then edit files?  I declared the
> machine unusable as it was obviously so archaic and/or esoteric that it is
> beyond and reasonable need of mine and I would promptly turn it off and find
> a real machine.

It must be nice to live in a world where you can just walk away if your
favourite tools aren't available. Unfortunately, most of us don't.

> "What if..."  What if both FTP and HTTP are unavailable.  In such a
> situation, you've got problems more than email because if those two *basic*
> and *standard* protocols aren't available then your network is, in a word,
> fucked.

Not at all. You've heard of UUCP, I assume?

> then welcome.  That is why I am so vehemently opposed to anyone using email
> for large attachments.  That is why I say that as the size of the attachment

The commercial world is a far more practical place. You can't take a stand
on large email attachments for philosophical reasons.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.