Re: More problems compiling kernel

homega@vlc.servicom.es wrote:

> Wayne Topa dixit:
> ~>
> ~>      Subject: Re: Help! More problems compiling kernel
> ~>      Date: Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 02:43:38PM +0200
> ~>
> ~>
> ~> ln -s kernel-source-2.0.35 linux
> ~> >
> ~> ls -l should show you that linux -----> points to kernel-source-2.0.35
> ~>
> ~> > cd \linux        *** without the link (ln -s ) there isn't a linux
> ~>                     dir after you did the  mv linux kernel-source-2.0.35
>
> I forgot to write it down here, but I surely did it.  I've found many problems,
> downloaded kernels from different places (.gz and .bz2), fixed myself wrong
> headers (probably corrupted due to line noise and/or during source installation)
> ... Finally I got one error message about the compiler, so I've decided to
> upgrade as much as I can.
>
> I've downloaded (from Slink):
> bin86_0.14.3-1.deb (and I already have binutils_2.9.1-0.2 installed)
> cpp_2.7.2.3-7.deb (BTW, what's cpp_2.91.66-0slink1_alpha.deb from proposed
> upgrades?)
--------------------------
anything with the word alpha in the name line is 64 bit software for the
DEC Alpha CPU chip.
Unless you are running that type of hardware disregard it.
---------------------------
> gcc_2.7.2.3-7.deb
> gcc-docs_2.7.2.3-7.deb
> glibc-doc_2.0.7.19981211-6.deb
> libc6_2.0.7.19981211-6.deb
> make_3.77-4.deb
> make-doc_3.77-4.deb
>
> I hope there's nothing else missing, and not having any trouble upgrading all
> that load.  I've also tried to upgrade gdb (I've got 4.17-0.1), but haven't
> been able to find it.
> It would be much better to upgrade to Slink at once, but I've been waiting for
> more than a month for LSL to deliver the CDs.
>
> One final question... following /usr/src/linux/README instructions, I removed
> asm/, linux/, and scsi/ from /usr/include/ and remade them as symlinks to
> asm-i386/, linux/, and scsi/ in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ ... but if I now
> removed the kernel source... what will it be?  orphan symlinks?  will that be a
> problem?
Im just curious, what are you doing? A partial upgrade or an initial
install. If you are planning to upgrade an existing system INCLUDING the
kernel you should use dselect, choose the apt option and pick the stable
version of debian from the menu. It is a lot safer and easier the trying
to pick and choose what you need, This is especially true if you are new
to linux or in a reasonale hurry :-) If you have a stable system and a
good internet connection you can do this overnight and have a new setup
the next day.
begin:vcard
n:Foster;John
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.advance-computing.com
org:AdVance-Computing Systems;WHQ
version:2.1
email;internet:jfoster@augustmail.com
title:Owner
note:We Build Multi-Processor Computers
adr;quoted-printable:;;Stonetrail Drive=0D=0ASuite  A;Plano;Texas;75023-7223;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;22240
fn:John Foster
end:vcard