Re: OT: Network design

Hey Guys :)

Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 02:40:24PM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of using ipmasq to share a cable-modem among many machines.
> > I would like to set up a DNS on this (gateway? proxy?) in order to resolve
> > names inside this subnetwork.  I would also like to telnet into the boxen
> > on the inside from the outside.
>
> > Is this possible?  (the telnet bit) and if so, how?  I would have only one
>
> You can't do that.  The best you could would be have a gubbins on the
> firewall which made it easy to open a login session to the other boxen.
> It's probably easier just to log in to the firewall normally and open a
> login session out of that.

<snip>

What you can do, is take the firewall and map a specific port to the IP address of one
of the local machines... I'm not familiar with the Linux Firewall (yet), but I'm sure
you can map something like port 23 to IP address 192.168.0.110 or something like
that.  I ran behind a home firewall like that for a while (for incoming telnet...)...
That should work under Linux as well.

HTH,

Brant