Re: Hardware advice

> Hello,
>
> I'm just getting started using Linux. Actually, I'm expecting my Slink CD's to arrive any day now. I'm upgrading an old PC I have to install Debian on. I'm on a real tight budget, but I don't want to spend my money on hardware that won't be appropriate.
>
> I've found a 1.2 G hard drive for a reasonable price. I know that this is more than adequate size for the OS, but is it a reasonable size   for a typical system.
>Basically, do you people who use this OS regularly recommend a bigger
drive?

That depends what you want to use linux for. If it's just daily email/some
programming stuff...1.2G would be enough. I got 2 drives working for me,
800M and 540M ones, everything fits on the well, although with recent mp3
downloads I'm running out of space.

> The system I intend to install this on is a 60Mhz Pentium with 16 M ram. I realize that this would be the minimum for a reasonable Win 95 setup,
> but is it reasonable for a Linux setup?

16M ram.... is somewhat reasonable. If you going to run X and bulky
applications like Netscape/Emacs, then your machine will be doing quite a
lot of trips to HD, and therefor be reasonably slow. But if you going to
work in shell, or run X with 800x600 res. on 8 bpp depth, and stay away
frmo Netscape and Emacs, I think you will get by with 16M.
Pentium60 will be slow..My first Linux machine was 486DX4, 120Mhz one,
with 16M ram. It did work faster than Win95 under same conditions
(netscape, for example), but if you look at your machine now, overall I
think you should stay away from bulky applications. And kernel compilation
will be quite some pain (25min on my old 486).
But yeah, you can live with it. There is vi instead of Emacs, there is
lynx instead of Netscape.
Andrew