Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 11:02:19PM +0800, ivan wrote:

> >Understandable. We need a good Debian book, luckily, multiple such projectas
> >are under work.
>
> If they are online books perhaps you could point me to the authors - maybe
> some help is needed ? (I'm not keen to work voluntarily for commercial
> productions)

Dale Scheetz wrote a book, but it is sort of commercial (you can get it on
the web and read it, but you must not reprint it). IIRC, it's available at
www.linuxpress.com (Dale, beat me if this is wrong).

But the Right Thing (tm) is definitely to join the Debian Documentation
project, please join debian-doc@lists.debian.org, and check the mailing list
archive and the web pages (sorry, no URL I can remember, start from Debian
home page).

Everybody can write documentation, you don't need to be registered developer
or such.

Start from http://alsa.jcu.cz

> >As I said, for the braindead windows user, a simple end user linux should be
> >prepared. Everyone else will have to swallow our philosophy anway, so why
> >not right from the start...
>
> Definitely a very good idea - is someone working on this or is there an
> abandoned project ripe for takeover somewhere ?

Mmmh. www.seul.org comes to mind, but I am not sure if it relates to Debian
at all. They seem to use RH 5.2 as a base. Then, what I've seen doesn't look
very appealing to me, but that's just me (I won't go into detail, because I
have only taken a very short look, and I don't want to be unfair).

If people are reading this and want to start such a project, they should
cooperate with the Debian developers, because many improvements can directly
go into the distribution, too, which makes the task easier for everyone.

But then, my personal believe is that you can reach easy maintainebility and
installability (are those actuall WORDS??) within the usual unixish
mainframe.

> >Well, let me rephrase it: After a while, you seldom notice something new :)
> >Some new requests pop up, some vanish, but over a long time they stay the
> >same. It's not too bad to get reminded often, but I would be more happy
> >if people would include patches :)
> >

> Having had the benefit of hindsight I may have kept my mouth shut :)  I
> also am beginning to recognise the same complaints occurring time and again
> and realise that I have added to the general overflow of adding complaints
> without proposing realistic solutions.

Well, actually, there are some things that were useful. Someday I may file
a few bugs against the boot floppies.

[...]

www.debian.org can host the site :P (no more excuses :)

> As it happens I have a 486 with 2Gb h/d just laying around - to think I
> never thought of using it in this way.  Thank you.  I have a couple of
> smail & networking problems to resolve (keep your eyes open for my
> questions when they come !) and will go this route.

If you want, you can join the debian-testing team (subscribe like to any
Debian mailing list), where the installation of the distribution is tested
before release.

> ps.  I wonder about your .sig - is there a meaning to this ?
> >`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.'

Sure there is. I just have to find out what.

Beside the obvious, that rhubarb is definitely no egyptian god (which is in
fact true).

:)

Marcus