Re: Minimal requirements for xwindows and slave hard disk installation

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 11:39:15PM -0500, Michelle Coelho wrote:
> I just got myself an old 270 MB hard disk...to supplement the 120Mb I have
> on my current disk. I've got debian Linux installed on it..Anyone knows how
> I should go about it.
> Also, I have about 72MB of free space left on the current disk. Add to that
> the 270MB(if I pass the smoke test!)..can someone tell me the minimal
> requirements for an xwindowing system ..I want to install netscape after
> that..

You might appreciate the X reorganization that took place for slink, then
-- one of its advantages is the ability to strip X down a lot more than you
used to.

You'll need:

xfree86-common
xserver-common
xserver-vga16 (only if you want to use the XF86Setup tool)
xf86setup (only if you want to use it)
xserver-<something> (probably xserver-svga, but this depends on the video card)
xlib6g
xbase-clients
xfonts-base
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-scaled (maybe)
xterm (or some other X terminal emulator, like rxvt -- which is smaller)
twm (or some other window manager, like fvwm)

I think that should do it.  If I forgot something, apt should haul it in
for you.

If you decide to use XF86Setup, you can remove it and xserver-vga16 once
you have configured the X server.

This may look like a long list of packages, but the old X arrangement
required xbase, and xbase had a *lot* of stuff in it.

I do suggest, however, moving your entire /usr over to the new drive.
Debian does not support, for instance, /usr/bin on one disk partition and
/usr/X11R6 on another.  (It's an issue of symbolic links mandated in the
Policy Manual.)

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "Why do we have to hide from the police,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Daddy?"