Cron examples?

What are some of the things that you are using cron to do?  I used
to use a similar DOS based program, same name, eons ago when I ran
a BBS.  In the middle of the night I had it start up and run
maintenence for the online games, delete old local e-mail
messages, get/sort/unpack FidoNet mail for the BBS, and assorted
other things.

I'm just wondering, as a Linux/Debian newbie some of the things
that cron can do on my system.  I'm drawing a blank right now so
maybe if I hear from some others how, and what they use cron it'll
spark something.
--
James R. Lunsford
Email     - mailto:jrl007@comports.com