Re: Cron examples?

	Subject: Cron examples?
	Date: Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 10:18:38PM -0500

Quoting James R. Lunsford(jrl007@comports.com):

> What are some of the things that you are using cron to do?  I used
> to use a similar DOS based program, same name, eons ago when I ran
> a BBS.  In the middle of the night I had it start up and run
> maintenence for the online games, delete old local e-mail
> messages, get/sort/unpack FidoNet mail for the BBS, and assorted
> other things.
>
> I'm just wondering, as a Linux/Debian newbie some of the things
> that cron can do on my system.  I'm drawing a blank right now so
> maybe if I hear from some others how, and what they use cron it'll
> spark something.
> --
> James R. Lunsford
> Email     - mailto:jrl007@comports.com
> Home Page - http://www.comports.com/jrl007
> ICQ       - 2114258

Daily
Get mail twice an hour form 0800-2300, spool news twice a day.
Update the Locate database. For kernel 2.2.1 I run /sbin/rmmod -a
every 5 min.to remove any modules I'm not using. Say the time on
the hour. Run a script to save all conf files to an admin dir for
all boxes on the LAN.

Weekly
Remove tmp files not accessed in last 3 days, update the whatis
database, Run chklogs to clean up log files

Monthly
gzip mailboxes and create new ones. Tar-up gzipped log files.

HTH

--
Software, n.:
   Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.