Re: Cron examples?

"James R. Lunsford" <jrl007@comports.com> writes:

> What are some of the things that you are using cron to do?  I used
> to use a similar DOS based program, same name, eons ago when I ran
> a BBS.  In the middle of the night I had it start up and run
> maintenence for the online games, delete old local e-mail
> messages, get/sort/unpack FidoNet mail for the BBS, and assorted
> other things.
>
> I'm just wondering, as a Linux/Debian newbie some of the things
> that cron can do on my system.  I'm drawing a blank right now so
> maybe if I hear from some others how, and what they use cron it'll
> spark something.
> --

why don't you have a look at what your Debian system does for you in
the night? It's all in /etc/cron.daily, cron.weekly and cron.monthly.

It may give you an idea of what is needed to maintain your Linux system

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci  | mailto:p.caci@flashnet.it - http://gusp.infogroup.it
       ik5pvx        |         http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.2.1 #1 Sun Feb 14 21:32:41 CET 1999 i586 unknown