Re: Installing DOS

 Raymond A. Ingles dixit:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 homega@vlc.servicom.es wrote:
>
> > I just reinstalled Debian and partitioned /dev/hda and /dev/hdc HDDs into
> > various partitions, of which I reserved /dev/hda1 (200MB) for installing
> > M$DOS6.x and /dev/hda2 (100MB) for IBM-DOS4.x
>
>  Based on the following paragraph, I assume you meant /dev/hdc1 and hdc2.

Sorry that was a typo...

>  From what I understand, no Microsoft product will boot off of anything
> but the primary master. (In Linux terms, hda.) No version of Windows will,
> for sure. You might be able to convince DOS to do it, if you have LILO
> call it.

No, LILO won't/can't do anything here, it seems the problem is that when I
try to install DOS, the installation program hangs, probably because it
doesn't find any space in /dev/hda.

>  Note that DOS must boot from an "active" partition. Linux doesn't care at
> all about that, but DOS & Windows are total sticklers. And you can only
> have one active partition per drive as I understand it. You may not be
> able to boot two different versions of DOS on the same machine...

Never mind, it's not really as important as to deinstalling Linux and making
space in /dev/hda for DOS, I guess I no longer have a real need for it
(well, just for Lotus 123 for DOS, I'm used to it).

> > Else, since reinstallation the CDROM driver is not working well.  It's and
> > OTI-HERMES ATAPI (primary slave) and during installation gave many errors
> > like:
> > hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0
> > hdb: ATAPI reset complete
>
>  I don't have any good ideas here. Check the cables and so forth. Has it
> worked with Linux before?

I recall some similar resetting messages with earlier installations, but no
problems afterwards... actually, I'm not having any trouble with mounting
CDs with the Jolliet extension.

Thank you.

--
Un saludo,