Installing DOS and ATAPI CD probs

Hi,

I just reinstalled Debian and partitioned /dev/hda and /dev/hdc HDDs into
various partitions, of which I reserved /dev/hda1 (200MB) for installing
M$DOS6.x and /dev/hda2 (100MB) for IBM-DOS4.x

The partition types I used (with cfdisk) were FAT16 (for M$'s) and FAT12
(for IBM's).  I also ran `mkdosfs -c /dev/hdc1'.  When I reboot with the M$
DOS first installation diskette, the installation program hangs, and have to
reboot.  Is it not possible to install DOS in the first partition of a
secondary master HDD?  or may it be due to cfdisk not making the correct
type partition and/or mkdosfs not making the right fs?

Else, since reinstallation the CDROM driver is not working well.  It's and
OTI-HERMES ATAPI (primary slave) and during installation gave many errors
like:
hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0
hdb: ATAPI reset complete

and I'm having a hard time to mount it or to run dselect with it.

TIA

--
Un saludo,

Horacio