modem/pppconfig after dselect

I have a problem but I don't know exactly where.

I installed the base system and used pppconfig to
configure my connection to my isp. It worked fine.

Then I used dselect to install the standard package
plus a few other things. After that I could not
connect to my isp.

I started the installation again but this time I didn't
use pppconfig with the base package. I tested the
modem with

echo ATDT myISPnumber > /dev/ttyS2

and all worked fine. I proceeded to install the standard
package again and after that tested the modem again.
And again it worked fine. Then I used pppconfig and once
again I couldn't connect to my ISP and the modem didn't
seem to function using the test above.

Could someone help ? ? ?