Re: Modem trouble

At 01:58 PM 1/27/1999 -0500, Michelle Coelho wrote:

> I have connected an external 56k modem to com1 (ttyS0). I ran pppconfig and
> filled in the info to the best of my knowledge. Then I ran pon. Then I did a
> 'plog' and got the following diagnostics:

<snip>

> .
> .
> pppd: Exit
> .
> .
> .
> pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider : unrecognized option '/dev/modem'

<snip>

It looks like your /etc/ppp/peers/provider is referencing /dev/modem, which it
expects to be a symlink to your actual modem device (/dev/ttyS0). Change the
reference from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0 and give that a shot.

(You could fix /dev/modem so it is a valid symlink to /dev/ttyS0, but in such a
situation the system can't put a lock on the real device when it is use and
therefore can't prevent another program from trying to use the real device at
the same time, so the symlink method is not recommended.)