Re: Mouse not working!!!!!!!!!

At 11:37 AM 1/28/1999 +0000, Jose L. Gomez Dans wrote:
>Hi!
>   Yesterday, I bought a S3 card for my debian box. I installed it, and
>after some tinkering about, I got it working. However, as a result of this,
>I had to change some BIOS settings (I think I did, anyway, as nothing was
>working for a time!). As a result of this, the mouse isn't responding any
>more. Basically, if I swiggle it around (I have gpm running), the cursor
>shows up, but nothing more. By looking at /proc/interrupts, and then moving
>the mouse and checking again, I notice that the interrupts requested by
>freely moving the mouse around has only increased by one!!!
>
>   I think that the problem might be in the irq/port. Can anyone help? I
>think I have to change something in the BIOS, but I'm not used to these
>things yet :-)))
>
>    Thanks a lot!
>    Jose
>--
>Jose L Gomez Dans			PhD student
>					Radar & Communications Group
>					Department of Electronic Engineering
>					University of Sheffield UK

I believe there's a gpmconfig tool that may help, but if there's an IRQ
conflict it won't. IRQ issues are the biggest pain other than shoddy
software (can you say "Microsloth"?). Getting it straight depends on your
BIOS capabilities and whether you have Plug-N-Curse devices, etc. If you
put your old video card back in and your mouse returns to normal function,
you can be pretty sure it's some sort of hardware (ie. IRQ, etc) conflict.

If you have a utility that came with the mouse that tests communication
with the mouse you might try that also (although you'll probably have to
boot into DOS to use it), but gpmconfig should do pretty much the same thing.

Sorry this isn't much help; maybe others on the list will have more info
for you.