Re: Modem trouble

Michelle Coelho wrote:
> I have connected an external 56k modem to com1 (ttyS0). I ran pppconfig and
> filled in the info to the best of my knowledge. Then I ran pon. Then I did a
> 'plog' and got the following diagnostics:
> pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider : unrecognized option '/dev/modem'

Kent West
> It looks like your /etc/ppp/peers/provider is referencing /dev/modem,
> which it expects to be a symlink to your actual modem device
> (/dev/ttyS0).

No.  She has somehow managed to get the string '/dev/modem' into her
provider file as a separate string, and pppd is quite naturally trying to
understand it as an option.

Michelle: please post copies of your /etc/ppp/peers/provider and
/etc/chatscripts/provider files (hide the password).  Also, please try to
remember exactly how you answered the questions in pppconfig, so that I can
figure out what I need to clarify.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)