Modem trouble

I have connected an external 56k modem to com1 (ttyS0). I ran pppconfig and filled in the info to the best of my knowledge. Then I ran pon. Then I did a 'plog' and got the following diagnostics:
abort on (NO DIALTONE)
abort on (NO ANSWER)
send (ATZ^M)
expect OK
--got it
send ATDT2785620
expect (CONNECT)
^M
alarm
Failed
Connect script failed
Exit.

I tried pon again and got the same diagnostics..Then when I tried pon the fourth time I got the following diagnostics:
abort on (NO DIALTONE)
abort on (NO ANSWER)
send (ATZ^M)
expect OK
--got it
send ATDT2785620
expect (CONNECT)
^M
Using interface ppp0
connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
last message repeated 9 times
LCP timeout sending Config-Request
Connection Terminated
Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 1
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Exit

I know that the modem is dialing out as I heard it do so all times..In the first case, I didn't hear the screeching sound, whereas in the second, I did.
So I thought the serial module device drivers should be enabled. So I ran modconf as root and enabled them, but the system couldn't detect any. What happened was at boot time, the system hanged. So then I disabled serial modules...

My 486 has a 16450 UART...Do you reckon this to be the problem. Should I be using a modem of lower speed, say, 33.6??

Here are some of the lines from /var/log/kern.log
kernel: serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
.
.
.
kernel: eata_dma : No BIOS32 extensions present. This driver release depends on it
.
.
.
pppd: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
pppd: Using interface ppp0
pppd: Connect: ppp0<-->/dev/tty1
pppd: LCP:timeout sending Config-Requests
pppd: Connection terminated
pppd: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean
pppd: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 1
.
.
.
pppd: Exit
.
.
.
pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider : unrecognized option '/dev/modem'

Having run pon, how do  I know if I'm connected. Will issuing a telnet connect me to the remote server? I have just the base system. I have no communcation software, like seyon or minicom or EzPPP, etc..neither do I have any GUI, like XWindows..And I am the sole user of the system. I intend adding more utililies, like XWIndows, etc..once I have the modem working properly and am able to connect to my ISP.