Re: Changing "reply to" field?

Steve Lamb <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:
| [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
| On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 05:32:42PM -0700, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
| > You don't generally want to change Return-Path. But to change, or add,
| > the "Reply-To" field just add this to your ~/.emacs file:
|
| > ;; For message mode
| > (setq message-mode-hook
| >   '(lambda ()
| >     (setq message-default-headers "Reply-To: you@someaddress.com\n")
| > ))
|
| > That's what I use, or used to use, before I switched to gnus for my
| > email.
|
|     Why?  Why not just swith the from: field and be done with it.  Most
| email client will take what is in the from field just fine.  I've never
| heard of an email client taking it fro the return-path.

I'm not sure who you're replying to here. If it was I then the answer
to your question "why?" is because that is the answer to the question
that Ed asked. If he had asked how to change the "From" header I
would've answered that. You add the "From:" line in exactly the same
manner though, if that's what's desired.

Ed sent me email with the following:

|Thanx for the reply and suggestion but it didn't work.
|
|I added the section of code to my .emacs file and ran
|"eval-buffer". It had no effect on the reply to field of my mail
|messages. I then exited emacs and restarted it again. Still no
|effect. I'm running Emacs v 19.34.1. Does that matter?

Sorry 'bout that Ed. You said you were using RMail, but I missed
that. RMail is different, add the following to your ~/.emacs, instead
of what I told you before:

(setq mail-mode-hook
  '(lambda ()
     (setq mail-default-headers "Reply-To: you@somewhere.com\nFrom: you@somewhere.com\n")
))

Just to mollify Steve, I included how to insert a "From:" line
too. Note that the above is redundant since they are the same, but
Reply-To can be set to something separate if you so desire.

Gary