debian installation

I need some help.  I have been trying to install debian for severl weeks.  Today got me the most progress so far.  I had my installation almost running but I think I put in a wrong video or monitor value and my system started blinking every half second.  It was locked up so I rebooted.  Same thing.  Now, I have selected the packages for home user(graphics,sound,X yadda yadda), but when I install, I get "too many errors, quitting install"  and as its installing the packages that do get installed,  often it says error files missing.  Do I have a bad CD?  I have been fighting with this for a long time.  I thought I almost had it, then I made a mistake, and now I can't get that far for nothin'.  I have even d'loaded the floppy images from the site to see if they work.  Nope.  Maybe I'm not meant to run Linux.