Re: debian installation

rod peters wrote:

>  I need some help.  I have been trying to install debian for
> severl weeks.  Today got me the most progress so far.  I had my
> installation almost running but I think I put in a wrong video
> or monitor value and my system started blinking every half
> second.  It was locked up so I rebooted.  Same thing.  Now, I
> have selected the packages for home user(graphics,sound,X yadda
> yadda), but when I install, I get "too many errors, quitting
> install"  and as its installing the packages that do get
> installed,  often it says error files missing.  Do I have a bad
> CD?  I have been fighting with this for a long time.  I thought
> I almost had it, then I made a mistake, and now I can't get
> that far for nothin'.  I have even d'loaded the floppy images
> from the site to see if they work.  Nope.  Maybe I'm not meant
> to run Linux.

It sounds like you've gotten through the base install okay. After
partitioning your drive and selecting device drivers and
configuring your keyboard and installing the base system, you
rebooted and then were given the option to choose a type of
system ("home user (graphics, sound, X, yadda yadda)"). This
indicates that the basic Linux system is there (and when I say
basic, I mean just barely functional; no man pages nor 'nuthin').

This is good.

Now the post-installer script has chosen a number of packages for
you that are suitable for home use and has copied them from the
CD to a directory on your system as .deb files. Then the script
calls dpkg/dselect (the Debian installer/maintenance program) to
install those .deb packages. Probably most of the packages have
been successfully installed.

If you as root run dselect and choose the Install and/or
Configure options, dselect will again try to install/configure
the packages that haven't been successfully installed.

When it dies due to too many errors (or for whatever reason), it
should give you a list of the things it couldn't install. Most
likely it's the X Window system/XF86Configure file that is one of
the problem packages.

Let us know that list says, and we'll have a little bit better
idea of where to go from there. Or, of my assumptions are all
wrong, let us know better where you're at in the installation
process.