Re: debian installation

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 11:15:06PM -0800, rod peters wrote:
> I need some help.  I have been trying to install debian for severl weeks.  Today got me the most progress so far.  I had my installation almost running but I think I put in a wrong video or monitor value and my system started blinking every half second.  It was locked up so I rebooted.  Same thing.  Now, I have selected the packages for home user(graphics,sound,X yadda yadda), but when I install, I get "too many errors, quitting install"  and as its installing the packages that do get installed,  often it says error files missing.  Do I have a bad CD?  I have been fighting with this for a long time.  I thought I almost had it, then I made a mistake, and now I can't get that far for nothin'.  I have even d'loaded the floppy images from the site to see if they work.  Nope.  Maybe I'm not meant to run Linux.

My suggestion is don't run xf86config for now (when the various packages
as you to). First install everything in dselect (you might have to hit
install a few times). And make sure you have enough disk space, df -k to
check. Once you get stuff installed, you can play with XF86Setup or
xf86config scripts. Remember that if X behaves weirdly you can kill it
with ctrl+alt+backspace. Best of luck!

--
Rafael Kitover
rkitover@io.com