Re: default fonts in NS 4.05 unreadable

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 08:49:54AM +0100, Thomas Adams wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 12:35:30AM -0700, Dave Thayer wrote:
>
> > It was a pretty uneventful installation, but read /usr/doc/xfstt/FAQ.gz.
>
> Strange, on my hamm box installing xfstt was a pretty eventful job. First,
> there is no FAQ.gz. Maybe it is in the slink but I can't install that to a
> hamm box, can I? Then there is a problem with starting xfstt. It looks like
> there is an error in the start script because if I type '/etc/init.d/xfstt
> start' I get a line that looks like xfstt telling me how it wants to get
> invoked. A bit later xdm tries to start but the screen doesn't come up. It's
> flashing and I have to login from another computer, take down xdm, start xfstt
> by hand and start xdm again.
>
> Then and only then everything works fine and I can view web pages with
> Netscape without getting eye cancer. :)
>
> I haven't even mentioned the fact that the name of the xfstt start script was
> in fact 'xfstt-dpkg-new' and that I had to browse the net for the line I had
> to add to the FontPath in XF86Config. unix:/7101 didn't work, whyever.
>
> Now I wonder what's broken on this system and do I have to expect something
> like that on slink, too?

Yuck! ISTR a lot of discussion about xfstt on debian-user a few months
back, it may have been regarding the Hamm version. I initially installed it
during my hamm-slink upgrade without any troubles.

> > In particular there are some details regarding choosing font size for
> > netscape. What I did, in a nutshell, was
>
> Regarding font sizes in Netscape: Is it ok that I can't choose the font size
> for a TTF? I think in Windows this is possible and at the moment I'm using the
> content of a \WINNT\Fonts directory. Are there free fonts which look as good
> or even better?

Actually you can choose the font size in Netscape, they just don't show up
in the dropdown list. Check the "Allow Scaling" box under the dropdown box
and just type in your desired size. You have to have a non-TT font selected
in order to enable the checkbox, but it will stay enabled when you choose a
TT font. I've just been using standard W95 fonts. The majority of free fonts
on the net seem to be decorative varieties, which would make for a fairly
unpleasant browsing experiance to say the least. M$ has some decent free
(gratis) fonts which have a surprisingly liberal license which only
restricts redistribution. Another source of fonts is one of those cheap CDs
in the shovelware bins at the computer big-box stores.

your pal dave.

ps, I will be away from email for a few days so I'll have to drop out of
this thread. Please don't think I'm being rude and ignoring people ;-)

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA