Re: network question

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 07:15:17PM -0600, Wesley Simon wrote:

> I'm running Debian 2.0 on a machine with 1 10baseT network card.

> I use this as a Quake server on my LAN.  I would like to add a
> 10/100baseT card to it so that there are 2 network cards.  I would
> then like to be able to run one 100baseT hub and one 10baseT hub.  I
> have read that Linux will only detect one card on bootup.  Is this
> still true for kernel 2.0.34?

As far as I know.  It's OK, though - you can tell the kernel about the
configurations of the various cards when installing modules or with the
kernel parameter list.

> Would this work?

> Set card A with an IP of 192.168.1.1
> Set card B with an IP of 192.168.2.1

> For all machines on 192.168.1.X, set the gateway to 192.168.1.1.
> For all machines on 192.168.2.X, set the gateway to 192.168.2.1.

That'll work.

> So, the Linux machine would function as a gateway and a Quake
> server simultaneously.

You'd need to make sure the machine knows it is allowed to forward packets
between the two networks if it's supposed to gateway.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/