cron without cron package??

I've noticed that on Debian systems without the cron package installed,
there still appears to be some version of cron availible... however I've
been unable to get it to work for anything. I can edit a crontab, but no
cron daemon is running and /usr/sbin/cron doesn't seem to do anything.

I did a 'dpkg -S *cron* ' but I didn't find where this file was installed
or where it came from. Obviously I couldn't figure out what it does, either.

Anyone know about this?

Chris