Re: default fonts in NS 4.05 unreadable

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 09:42:37PM +0100, Thomas Adams wrote:

> On two different hamm computers with different video cards and monitors I
> installed Netscape 4.05 with the install script.

> On both of these systems I can hardly read the web pages because the default
> fonts are too small. On the same computers and monitors, a Windows Netscape
> displays fine. Why?

> I already increased the font size by 2 but now the fonts are too large and
> look ugly. What can I do about it and why do I have to do it at all? Why does
> it not work "out of the box"?

Does this happen with all web pages?  I haven't used Netscape on a Debian
system (Lynx is your friend), but on other systems I've tried Netscape 4.05
on I found that it doesn't handle missing fonts very well, rendering them in
a microscopic Courier.  This causes problems with web pages which use Ariel
and only Ariel in font tags.  Most pages render fine, though.  This is with
the tarballs distributed by Netscape and installed by hand.

FWIW, Mozilla appears to work round the breakage by substituting a suitable
font if none is found (certainly, qtscape does) but I don't know how ready
for prime-time it is.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/