Re: Setting Up Newsgroups

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 11:42:50PM -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:

> How do I go about setting up newsgroups on my hamm box?  I installed the
> news servers, but I'm unsure of what to do next.  I just want to pull
> maybe 10 groups down to my local box.

You'll also need a news reader if you are going to use a news server -
something like Gnus (in Emacs), tin or slrn that provides a user interface
allowing you to read and write news articles.  Tastes vary, but for my
money Gnus is the easiest and most featureful.

Which news server have you installed?  With either inn or cnews, you should
investigate one of the news downloaders like suck or newsx.  Neither inn
nor cnews is really designed for pulling news from another sever and it's
all a bit heavy duty.

The simplest news server is probably leafnode.  I've never used it, so
can't give you specific instructions, but it is designed for exactly this
situation.  It provides a news server, and downloads those groups you have
subscribed to with your newsreader from an upstream server.  You don't
have to deal with the intricacies of inn or anything like that.

There are also newsreaders which can do the downloading themselves, giving
you the ability to read news offline.  Gnus and slrn can do this.  I've no
experience with doing this.  The disadvantages are that each user downloads
news seperately and it's a bit harder to arrange for news to be downloaded
automatically when you bring up a PPP link.  It also ties you to using that
reader.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/