Re: pppconfig

"John C. Ellingboe" wrote:

> Hey Kent,
>
> You have coppied the /etc/ppp/peers/binary.net file to /mpool so you
> have two accounts at that point, but they both default to using
> /etc/chatscrips/provider which is a default.  Copy the
> /etc/chatscripts/provider file to /etc/chatscripts/binary.net and
> /etc/chatscripts/mpool.  Change the "connect line" in
> /etc/ppp.peers/XXX to reflect the proper chatscript and everything
> will work proper.
>
> John

Ok I have the following files:

crossyourfingers:/home/kent# cd /etc/ppp/peers/
crossyourfingers:/etc/ppp/peers# ls -al
total 8
drwxr-s---   2 root     dip          1024 Jan 12 05:39 .
drwx------   5 root     root         1024 Dec 15 10:23 ..
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           576 Dec  9 04:00 binary.net
-rw-r--r--   1 root     dip           576 Jan 12 05:20 mpool
-rw-r--r--   1 root     dip           570 Jan 12 05:07 mpool~
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           574 Dec 15 10:22 provider
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           489 Jun 18  1998 provider.old
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           19 May 16  1998 wvdial

This is what the /binary.net file looks like:

crossyourfingers:/etc/ppp/peers# cat  binary.net
# This file was generated by pppconfig.  You can edit the following lines
# but please do not delete lines or the change the comments or you will
# confuse pppconfig.
noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/binary.net"
#pppconfig_connect
debug          #pppconfig_debug
/dev/ttyS1       #pppconfig_dev
115200      #pppconfig_speed
defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
noipdefault     #pppconfig_ipdefault
user ktb  #pppconfig_user
# End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here without
# confusing pppconfig.
crossyourfingers:/etc/ppp/peers# cat binary.net
# This file was generated by pppconfig.  You can edit the following lines
# but please do not delete lines or the change the comments or you will
# confuse pppconfig.
noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/binary.net"
#pppconfig_connect
debug          #pppconfig_debug
/dev/ttyS1       #pppconfig_dev
115200      #pppconfig_speed
defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
noipdefault     #pppconfig_ipdefault
user ktb  #pppconfig_user
# End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here without
# confusing pppconfig.

The /mpool file looks the same but I replaced "binary.net" with "mpool" on
the "connect" line.

I have these files:

crossyourfingers:/etc/ppp/peers# cd /etc/chatscripts/
crossyourfingers:/etc/chatscripts# ls -al
total 10
drwxr-s---   2 root     dip          1024 Jan 12 03:31 .
drwxr-xr-x  63 root     root         4096 Jan 12 01:49 ..
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           117 Jan 12 03:31 binary.net
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           117 Jan 12 03:29 binary.net~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     dip           116 Jan 12 05:05 mpool
-rw-r--r--   1 root     dip             0 Jan 11 13:34 mpool~
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           116 Jan 12 03:30 provider
-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           116 Jan 12 03:26 provider~

The /binary.net file looks like this:
crossyourfingers:/etc/chatscripts# cat binary.net
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
"" ATZ
OK ATDT4848144
CONNECT \d\c

The /mpool file is the same but the dial up number is different.

I tried using "pon mpool" and nothing happened.  So I thought I would try and
move /etc/ppp/peers/provider to my home directory to see what would happen
and I got the following message:
/usr/sbin/pppd: Can't open options file  /etc/ppp/peers/provider  no such
file or directory exists.

I then looked at the  /usr/sbin/pppd file and I think it is a binary file it
has few characters I can read.  So what I am thinking is somehow I need to
get /usr/sbin/pppd  to be able to read  /etc/ppp/peers/binary.net   and
/etc/ppp/peers/mpool.  I'm stumped again.
Kent