Re: pppconfig

At 09:56 AM 1/12/1999 +0000, ktb wrote:
>    Hi,  I ran pppconfig some time ago and I could connect to the
>internet just fine using "pon."   My isp has three dial up numbers and
>two were down, one of them was the one I use as my default.  I looked at
>the pppconfig man page and discovered I could have more than one
>account.  So I ran pppconfig again and set it up so I could enter "pon
>mpool" at the prompt and it should dial the number that wasn't down.
>When I tried "pon mpool" I got an error message that there was no
>/etc/ppp/peers/mpool file or directory.  So I made the file, tried
>again, didn't work.  Went to the  /etc/ppp/peers/binary.net  file
>(binary.net is my default account) I copied the file and put that
>material in the /etc/ppp/peers/mpool file.  The file now looks like
>this:
>
>crossyourfingers:/usr/share/afterstep# cat /etc/ppp/peers/mpool
># This file was generated by pppconfig.  You can edit the following
>lines
># but please do not delete lines or the change the comments or you will
># confuse pppconfig.
>noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
>connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/binary.net"
>#pppconfig_connect
>debug          #pppconfig_debug
>/dev/ttyS1       #pppconfig_dev
>115200      #pppconfig_speed
>defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
>noipdefault     #pppconfig_ipdefault
>user ktb  #pppconfig_user
># End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here
>without
># confusing pppconfig.
>
>I tried changing the line /etc/chatscripts/binary.net to read
>/etc/chatscripts/mpool  that didn't work.  So I am at a loss here.  I
>have read the pppconfig man page and there is nothing there that I can
>see will help me with this problem.  My primary isp number for v90/k56
>modems is still down, I finally found the file /etc/chatscrips/provider
>and changed the number there to the general modem pool number so I can
>get online now but I would still like to set up pppconfig so I can
>access the different numbers without having to edit the file.
>Thanks,
>Kent

I'm a little confused about what you've got, but here's how I understand
how things should be. You need two files for each connection, for a total
of four files:
   1) /etc/ppp/peers/connection_1
   2) /etc/chatscripts/connection_1_script
   3) /etc/ppp/peers/connection_2
   4) /etc/chatscripts/connection_2_script

There should be a "connect" line in /etc/ppp/peers/connection_1 that
references /etc/chatscripts/connection_1_script (and the same situation for
connection_2). The connection_1 and connection_2 files can be the same
except for this "connect" (of course, they don't have to be the same).

The different phone numbers, usernames, etc are handled in the
/etc/chatscripts files.

What I'd suggest you do is run pppconfig twice: the first time use the
default name for the connection (ie "provider"), and the second time give
it a new name (ie "other_account"). This should set everything up
correctly. Then to connect to the first account, simply enter "pon". To
connect to the second account, enter "pon other_account". You could
create/edit the files manually, but since I'm confused about what you've
got, I'd suggest just running pppconfig twice to set up the connections.

Hope this helps.