Re: package upgrading issue

Hi,

I had the same problem. I wanted to get a package
from the FTP site that was not on my CD and did not
know how to make dselect load just the package I
was interested in. I tried to unselect everything
from the topmost section, but it did not work. I
read in one of the help files that any operation
on a section title would effect all packages in the
section, but that did not happen. I read that
dpkg-ftp was used by dselect but I could not invoke
this from the shell. Attempts to put packages on
hold (my understanding was this would prevent it
from upgrading) was not easy and I kept getting
into dependencies and conflicts. I eventually gave
up and let dselect use its defaults and upgrade
all the packages.

I am a new user and I probably do not know how to
upgrade/get a new package using dselect. I prefer
not using dpkg; I prefer something graphical and
easy to use. Also, is there a way in dselect to
move the cursor to the next/previous section? And
is there a way to affect an entire section?

Thanks.

deepak

---tjm1@thorn.net wrote:

> I am sure that is some ways this problem is the result of my own
inexperience, or that it may in fact
> already be addressed in the successor to dselect.  However, I feel I
should mention it in any case.
> Using dselect I ftped  in wanting to get an upgraded package list
for potato. ( most of my system is stable)
> I prefer to at least look at the packages in dselect because it will
inform me of any required dependences even
> if I don't actually install that way. The problem is this.  When
upgrading the package list dselect marks
> everything that was installed as install.  For example if I have
bc100.0001.deb  installed
> and potato has a bc100.0002 available this new file is marked for
installation.  What this means is that dselect
> and the dpkg database thinks I want to upgrade hundreds of megs of
packages.  Dselect is assuming that since I
> installed the previous version I must want to upgrade to the new
version.  This is obviously not tru for all
> applications.  It also completly undermines dselects abilty to
inform me of package dependences.

> My efforts to fix this problem have dug me deeper into the hole and
now I will probably be forced to do a
> complete reinstall.  I think it would me far better for deslect or
the new package installation tool to mark