slink PPP hangup problem

Hello All

I have been using Debian Slink Linux for a while now, but I have a problem
hanging up (terminating) a PPP connection.

I have the latest version of PPPD installed, I have edited the chatscripts
ect... to dial the interent, and i use pon to logon to the internet.

But when it comes time to log off the internet I do have a problem. The
problem is that when I run /usr/bin/poff. The program does not 'terminate'
thet PPP connection properly. The connection is terminated but in
/var/log/syslog I get the following messages:

Jan  6 07:01:49 indolent pppd[296]: Terminating on signal 2.
Jan  6 07:02:34 indolent chat[851]: Failed
Jan  6 07:02:34 indolent pppd[296]: disconnect script failed
Jan  6 07:02:35 indolent pppd[296]: Exit.

I have no clue how to fix this problem. I know that poff does work on this
other debian box that I have, and it hangs up instantly off the internet.
When I use poff of this machine I can't get off the intenret instantly it
takes a few minutes then puts some errors out to syslog (shown above), I
was just wondering if anyone has nay idea how to fix this. Or what kind of
problem this is... And once in a long while sometimes the modem won't
hangup when i execute /usr/bin/poff and I am forced to reboot the box.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
Nikhil