Re: Network setup problems

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, John Stevenson wrote:

> Here is the info you asked for:
>
> Our office network is fairly simplistic, basically we use the
> ISDN modem as a router / gateway to the internet.  It has an
> internal IP address of 172.16.1.1 which I set on my laptop to be
> the address of the gateway.  Then if I want anything from the
> internet it will go through the gateway.
>
> All the machines in the office connect to the ISDN modem via a
> hub, we all connect to the hub and then the hub is connected to
> the ISDN modem.  So the ISDN modem is a unit all to itself and
> not part of a computer.  All the IP addresses are internal, some
> translation is done somewhere between the ISDN modem and our
> ISP.  At the moment our modem is only one way, so we can access
> the Internet, but we cant access our internal network from the
> outside.
>
> I am running apache on my Laptop: starfury with an IP address of
> 172.16.1.9 and I have been using the full name and the ip
> address to try connect, adding :80 to the end of each of course.

It appears that one problem is that there is a mismatch (probably a typo)
between the IP addresses assigned to 'starfury'.  Above you state that it
is 172.16.1.9 and your ping output also indicates that address, but in
your ifconfig output it states that your eth0 network interface has an
address of 172.16.0.9.  It looks like the IP address you've got the
interface configured for and the one that is in your /etc/hosts file is
not the same.

> starfury: ~js netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS
> Window  irtt Iface
> 172.16.0.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U      1500
> 0          0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584
> 0          0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         172.16.1.1      0.0.0.0         UG     1500
> 0          0 eth0
>

> starfury: ~js ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255
> Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           Collisions:0
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:3F:E5:26
>           inet addr:172.16.0.9  Bcast:172.16.255.255
                      ^^^^^^^^^^
                      Here's the address the interface is actually
                      configured to be.

> Mask:255.255.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500
> Metric:1
>           RX packets:45577 errors:2 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:2
>           TX packets:1240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:0
>           Collisions:1
>           Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

Check the IP addresses in /etc/hosts and your Ethernet interface
configuration (/etc/init.d/network, if you are using the standard Debian
config methodology) are the same. Try to do your pings, traceroutes, etc.
using IP addresses at first, then go to host names.  Then you can see if
the addresses are the problem or you host name <--> IP address mapping.

Hope this helps...