Re: QUantifiable reasons to use debian instead of redhat...?

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 01:02:33 +0100, Thomas Adams wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 03:11:52PM -0600, Matt Garman wrote:
> > Debian is not motivated by profit, so when a new Debian release cometh,
> > you can be sure it's been tested to a full extent.  I think
>
> Sorry, but I want to disagree here. After reading debian-devel for a
> while, I'm under the impression that they "have" to release a new version
> until then-and-then. I don't know why because as you said it's not for
> profit, but they are rushing it if you ask me.

In the past, Debian release cycles have been very long, making it difficult
for developers to support the released version. After hamm (which took more
than a year), there was a definite sentiment to move to shorter release
cycles. That doesn't mean we're going to work with fixed deadlines
(otherwise a broken slink would be available in time for christmas
shopping), but it does mean there's some pressure to get slink releasable.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig