Dosemu Help

Dear Debianers,

I need some basic help on dosemu.

I use Debian 2.0, kernel 2.0.36, and this is my /etc/fstab

#
/dev/hda1        /c             msdos   defaults                    0      2
/dev/hda2        /              ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro  0      1
/dev/hda3        none           swap    sw                          0      0
/dev/fd0         /dosfloppy     msdos   user,noauto                 0      0
/dev/fd0         /ext2floppy    ext2    user,noauto                 0      0
proc             /proc          proc    defaults                    0      0

I'd like to run a couple of programs which reside in my dos partition /c
from within the DOS box under X11. I also would like to know how I install
further DOS programs: it would be ideal to keep them all in /c and free the
precious Linux partition from any contamination.

For this, I edited
/usr/lib/dosemu/commands/config.sys as follows:

rem This sets  up the redirector to look at the Linux root directory.
rem this is probably not a good idea once you have dosemu installed
rem Following line commented by myself (12-98):
rem device=c:\emufs.sys /
device=c:\ems.sys
rem Lines below added by myself (12-1998):
rem Below I use n: (not g: as in the dosemu-HOWTO) as of the file
rem /etc/mtools.conf:
install=C:\subst.exe n: c:
install=c:\lredir.exe c: LINUX\FS\c

Is this correct?
I read that "the two config.sys must be identical": which ones, the above
and the one in /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first?
If so, how do I copy (is this the right word?) the above config.sys into
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first (provided this config.sys is correct)?

Apart from this, I have only set a couple of things in /etc/dosemu/conf:
keyboard, mouse.
Do I have to uncomment the following line in /etc/dosemu/conf for what I
want to do?
  #disk { partition "/dev/hda1" readonly }       ## 1st partition on 1st ...

Finally, what I think is the first question that one should find answered in
any HOWTO or README: what is hdimage (hdimage.first)?

Thank you.

Remo Badii
| Dr. Remo   |    __ _   Debian User      | Paul Scherrer Institute |
|     Badii  |   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  | CH-5232 Villigen        |
| Nonlinear  |  / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /  | Switzerland             |
| Stochastic | \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\  | badii "at" psi.ch       |
| Processes  |                            | www1.psi.ch/~badii      |