Re: Debian installation hangs

On 10 Dec 98, at 10:23, David Stern wrote:

> > I tried booting with SoundBlaster, CD-ROM and SyJet disabled, but it
> > seem to help.  And all the devices work fine under another O/S (that
> > speak its name on this list), so I don't think the actual hardware's
>
> You'll find the Debianeers have a higher tolerance than Redhatters for
> mentioning other OS's, so not to worry.  Also, I'm told windows will
> actually boot h/w that is misconfigured (say, two ide devices on the same
> ide port, both configured as Master), whereas Linux may choke.  I presume
> you already tried waiting for a minute or so like that other guy with a
> similar configuration and problem said that after a while it will
> continue.

Yes, I was trying again last nigt, and waited for 20 minutes or so without
result.  And the Master/Slave jumpers are definitely configured correctly.

> > I've tried all sorts of half-baked ideas like copying the kernel from CD
> > onto my Debian boot disk (which boots, but then either produces panic
> > cos it can't find a file system, or an infinite number of bad a possibly
> > non-existent RAM disk).  I've also tried downloading the disk image
> > hoping that I could boot from this, then install from the couldn't get
> > rawrite to write it to any of my floppies, and then had newbie comfusion
> > because I don't understand how a 1743k image can be written to a floppy
> > anyway...
>
> Redhat won't admit it (I actually discussed this with M. Johnson), but
> from what everyone else says, they don't adhere to the filesystem
> standard.  Which is why I didn't recommend that.
>
> > > I realize you're probably not up to compiling a kernel at this point,
> > > but you'll probably need to get a boot floppy image with the newer
> > > kernel, unless you want to wait a few weeks for slink to release.
> >
> > That's the line I've been pursuing.  Is there a selection of
> > pre-compiled rescue/installation floppies available anywhere, or is
> > there only the one one from the distribution?
>
> As far as I know, that's it.  But, usually about once every few weeks
> someone with an unusual booting requirement (MCA bus, ..) will post the
> list with a request for a boot disk that there is an unfilled niche for,
> so it generally happens at a lower level than with redhat, I guess.  I'm
> sure that as Debian gains popularity and maturity, this will change.  Of
> course, slink will be released in a few weeks, and that'll probably work
> for you.

Well, at the moment I haven't managed to make a Slink disk anyway.
And after a bit of searching through the list archive, this seems to be a
common problem.  It does seem that it will solve the problem when
released, but I'm in Impatient Mode right now, and now sure I can manage
to wait a few weeks...

> I noticed someone mentioned using the Tecra boot disk image.  I don't know
> exactly what those do (I just know they're for laptops), but since you
> have redhat setup, writing a floppy should be easy enough.  I'd give the
> tecra boot disk a try.  Can't hurt, and it might work.

Tried the Tecra disk, same result.

> > > Note that I'm not sure if there are any serious implications regarding
> > > changes in the kernel between 2.0.34 and 2.0.36, or any other issues
> > > might make this task more complex than I've thus far presumed.
> > >
> > > My experience with replacing kernels on bootdisks is nil, but if noone
> > > else is willing and you don't mind waiting a day or two, let me know.
> > > not a complete moron, I know where the Bootdisk-HOWTO is, I have a new
> > > hamm system with a few slink packages, so it should be doable.
> > >
> > I estimate I will have hit the maximum safe frustration level by the
> > weekend.  If I haven't sorted myself out by then, I may well take you
> > offer.
> >
> > > I wonder if there's a boot-time option to disable md.  Anyone?
> >
> > That would be the perfect solution!
>
> Someone mentioned that your disk controller may not like being probed.
> You might try turning off Plug n Play in your system bios (at boot time,
> press delete), if you haven't done that already.  I'd still recommend
> disconnecting all devices you aren't using for the installation, and
> confirming proper configuration for those that remain connected, as well.

I don't remember seeing this as an option last time I was in the BIOS
setup.  But there might be a manual jumper setting.  I'll have to look.

> I don't mean to be picky, but if you shorten your line length to around
> 72, then replies will look a lot neater.  This time I just chopped off the
> long lines.  Last time I manually reformatted your text.

Er, well it was actually 70, but I'll try 65 and we'll see if that helps.
By the way, despite the "been there, done that" tone of this e-mail, I'm
grateful for the effort you've made.  If you can think of any other
suggestions, please keep them coming.

> Family emergency, I have to go.
> --
> David