Re: Debian installation hangs

On 9 Dec 98, at 0:12, David Stern wrote:

> I searched the kernel sources and I found this is the "multiple
> devices" driver.  That handles disk striping (RAID 0), RAID 5, etc.
>
> I have never heard of this problem, nor do I have any insight as to
> what might cause this error.  I was taught to disconnect unnecessary
> devices when things like this happened, reconnect cables and check
> master/slave settings, but maybe you already did that.  I do see they use
> different driver versions, and if 0.36.3 works, then perhaps you need
> 0.36.3 for your box.  The nature of drivers is to evolve and support more
> devices, after all.  I have kernel 2.0.36 (from slink) installed (on hamm)
> and md is version 0.36.3.

I tried booting with SoundBlaster, CD-ROM and SyJet disabled, but it didn't
seem to help.  And all the devices work fine under another O/S (that dare not
speak its name on this list), so I don't think the actual hardware's at fault.

I've tried all sorts of half-baked ideas like copying the kernel from the RedHat
CD onto my Debian boot disk (which boots, but then either produces a Kernel
panic cos it can't find a file system, or an infinite number of bad sector errors in
a possibly non-existent RAM disk).  I've also tried downloading the Slink rescue
disk image hoping that I could boot from this, then install from the CD.  But I
couldn't get rawrite to write it to any of my floppies, and then had an attack of
newbie comfusion because I don't understand how a 1743k image can possibly
be written to a floppy anyway...

> I realize you're probably not up to compiling a kernel at this point, but
> you'll probably need to get a boot floppy image with the newer kernel,
> unless you want to wait a few weeks for slink to release.

That's the line I've been pursuing.  Is there a selection of pre-compiled
rescue/installation floppies available anywhere, or is there only the one official
one from the distribution?

> Note that I'm not sure if there are any serious implications regarding
> changes in the kernel between 2.0.34 and 2.0.36, or any other issues which
> might make this task more complex than I've thus far presumed.
>
> My experience with replacing kernels on bootdisks is nil, but if noone
> else is willing and you don't mind waiting a day or two, let me know.  I'm
> not a complete moron, I know where the Bootdisk-HOWTO is, I have a fairly
> new hamm system with a few slink packages, so it should be doable.

I estimate I will have hit the maximum safe frustration level by the end of this
weekend.  If I haven't sorted myself out by then, I may well take you up on that
offer.

> I wonder if there's a boot-time option to disable md.  Anyone?
> -

That would be the perfect solution!

> David
>                                      dstern@u.washington.edu