Re: QUantifiable reasons to use debian instead of redhat...?

burch@offline.org (Jon Burchmore) writes:

> I use Debian because:
>
> 1.  There is actually some quality control over the packages
> 2.  There is actually some quality control over the packages
> 3.  There is actually some quality control over the packages
> 4.  There is a "standard," and packages conform to it

Yes, that's what i love about Debian as well.

> I find that my Debian systems are easier to maintain than RedHat systems

Hmmm, here i have a few problems.  From a practical sysadmins point of
view Debian severely lacks the possibility to do unattended automated
installations (set-selections is not quite the same, sorry).  There is
far to much interaction required.  I really wouldn't want to install a
cluster of 50-100 machines using Debian and would be very happy about
something like the Redhat kick start feature instead.  And then RPM is
pretty fast too...

But on the other hand, i consider Redhat not quite well enough to
really bother using it...
                               Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------