Re: Debian installation hangs

On 10 Dec 98, at 11:17, John C. Ellingboe wrote:

> Look at the message just before the md driver message for the
> problem.  It will probably turn out to be the disk controler doesn't
> like being probed at boot time and is locking up.  Some systems will
> require an entry on the "boot line" or use the tecra rescue disk like the
> lap top systems need.  Search the archives at www.debian.org for the
> source of a new rescue disk if you have a aha27xx disk controler. You will
> also find sources of 1440 SLINK disks but I would not recomend them at
> this time.

The line before the "md driver" line was the floppy controller detect, which
worked.  And before that, was a perfectly correct detection of both IDE
controllers and all four devices on them.  What I'll try is booting up with a
few more combinations of hardware device disabled, to see if this works.

I've also tried the tecra disk, which does the same thing as the normal
one.

Thanks for the warning about Slink, but I would like to at least try it (just
to see a Debian distribution boot at least once).  If you've seen any
*compiled* Slink 1440k disks, perhaps you could point me in their
direction.

> Don't try to install from SLINK at this time.  Use HAMM which has 1440
> floppy images.  SLINK has turned up with a few problems and you don't need
> that while setting up a new system.
>
> John

Thanks for the help

Mark