Re: Debian installation hangs

Kent West wrote:

> At 11:13 AM 12/10/1998 -0500, Tun Yang wrote:
> >This is not related to this problem, but I thought I'd just throw in some
> >ideas...
> >I have an Adaptec 2940UW, and when I upgraded my motherboard and cpu, I put
> >it in PCI slot #1. Debian cd boot up hung somewhere. (I think at the scsi
> >init area). That "other" O/S still worked perfectly though. But, I switched
> >the adaptec to slot #2, and the video card to slot #1, and everything was
> >fine and dandy again. Reason? I still don't know. Does anyone?
> >
> >maybe you could try removing your hardware and you might find something
> >quirky...
>
> I *think*, and don't quote me on this, that some motherboards somehow share
> an EISA/ISA slot with a PCI slot. What this means, I don't know. At any
> rate, it slot #1 is a shared slot, it might have something to do with your
> problem.

Sharing just pertains to the fact that you can't physically stick both an ISA and a
PCI card in that slot. (ISA has it's connector to one side and PCI the other). I've
seen this type of problem happen with NT when using a 3Com 3C905 and a graphics
adapter. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com