less shows fortune

Since I put these lines

echo "\n"
fortune -a
echo ""

in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc, less gives me a fortune and the
newlines instead of the contents of a file:

sos:~> less ei

The two party system ... is a triumph of the dialectic.  It showed that
two could be one and one could be two and had probably been fabricated
by Hegel for the American market on a subcontract from General Dynamics.
                -- I.F. Stone

lesspipe.sh: Command not found.

When I take out the three lines from /etc/csh.cshrc, I still get this
lesspipe.sh: Command not found. error message, but after that the
contents of the file are displayed.

What could that be?

Stef