LI but no LO

I had to change the SCSI controller on my home Debian machine
(had to cannibalise the Dawicontrol NCR chip card to use it on
another machine urgently).  I found I couldn't get the same and put
in an Adaptec 2940U.  The Adaptec shows me all the devices on
the chain correctly.  I've told its bios not to do translation and to
boot from device 0 (correct place, an oldish IBM 1Gb drive).

Now booting shows lilo getting through "LI" but then nothing.  I
assume something is going wrong in the loading of linux but I'm not
sure what's likely to be wrong and how I should deal with it.  I found
one report of something similar in the archives but no answer there.

Suggestions please!  TIA!!

Chris