X window problem

Hello all

I have a Dell Optiplex Gxa that I am attempting to install X windows on.

I can get XF86Setup to run , can setup the mouse properly, than comes the
chipset.  I believe I have an ATI Rage Pro , closest to it are at the bottom
of the ATI section of the list.  When I install these and try to bring up X
window the following happens

Attempting to start X server

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect Can't Connect error111

Then trying to bring up the X windows server again results in the following

Can't read "messages (phase 2.1)": no such variable
	While executing
"label $w.waitmsg -text $messages (phase2.1"
	(file"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XFSetup/phase2.tcl" line 25
	invoked from within
"source /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase2.tcl"

I have tried the generic VGA driver and several others with the same results

Does anybody have this type of machine?  And what driver did you use

What are some of the error messages indicating?

Thanks in advance

Brian Smith