no pcmcia drivers on install

Hi All,

  I posted a few weeks ago about not begin able to get my pcmcia card to work
on my TI/Acer 610CD laptop.  The card  is an Eiger labs epx-10bt, which needed
the the modules file modified slightly.  I did that to no avail, so I'm in the
middle of attempting to reinstall the system.

    At that stage where I can install device drivers, there's no menu choice
for pcmcia cards.  None.  I opened the virtual terminal and looked around.
/lib/modules/2.0.34/pcmcia is there, with the drivers.  But /etc/conf.modules
doesn't have a path[pcmcia] statement.  So I added one.  That didn't change
anything, so I don't know what to try next.
  Does anyone know what's going on?  What do I need to modify in order to be
able to configure my pcmcia card?