X won't work anymore

Hello all. I'm relatively new at linux so bear with me. I set up linux on
my box about two or three weeks ago. Everything was going fine and dandy.
I got everything going fine including X windows.
However, yesterday, I was in X, and installing maelstrom and quake (a
guy's gotta relax ya know...) and I rebooted my machine. After that it
startx, xterm, and other apps had just dissappeared. I couldn't get X
started no matter what I did. So, I just purged everything X-like from my
system and reinstalled it. Everything /seems/ to be back (then again, what
do I know), but now when I run 'startx' I get this error:

failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
.../fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,.../fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,.../fonts/Type1/,
.../fonts/Speedo/,.../fonts/75dpi/,.../fonts/100dpi/'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

_X11TransSocketUnixConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Any help would be great appreciated.

--Vincent Rosso